Wheel center settings

Hair Bear

Wheel center settings

Post by Hair Bear »

Does anyone know what the narrowest front and rear wheel settings are for a 550? I'm guessing with 11-28 or 11-32 rears it's 52" and 48" for the front?
What could possibly go wrong?
Sandy.

Re: Wheel center settings

Post by Sandy. »

It will be nearer 56" and 52" on a 550.
Hair Bear

Post by Hair Bear »

Hmm... I did wonder, thanks. Haven't been able to find a setting chart anywhere.
I've looked at several and all had the wheels set in different places or various sized tyres and despite measuring I just couldn't visualise what I was hoping to see. I was intending to pair it with a B12 plough which I know works with a 52" rear track. Maybe a bit of cross shaft shuffling perhaps.
Any idea what the correct era plough would be? I'm thinking a MF 40 or MF 150 but info appears scarce.
Sandy.

Post by Sandy. »

Would think it would be a MF 40 plough. Which was available new in the seventy`s.
Hair Bear

Post by Hair Bear »

Thanks. Let the search commence.
Hair Bear

Post by Hair Bear »

Well... having now acquired a handbook (tractor not arrived yet) it does suggest 52" is possible at the back but I think it's going to be feeler gauge tight. Once I actually get to try it I'll report back.
Hair Bear

Post by Hair Bear »

Just to wrap this up, the answer according to the manual is 52" to 72" at the front, 52" to 76" at the back.
Hair Bear

Post by Hair Bear »

For future reference, we managed to get 52" on the rear, not as tight as I thought it would be, put a 10" Fergie plough on and took it completely untried straight to a match. All seemed to work ok. :D