Massey Ferguson 732 Mower restoration _ Position Stop Kit

patrickclark

Massey Ferguson 732 Mower restoration _ Position Stop Kit

Post by patrickclark »

Hi all,

Following James Holland's piece in issue 104 I thought I would just post a few queries on here as I have a few (albeit mundane) queries for small details that have stumped me in some of my restoration projects - this one is a long standing one!

My first query relates to the Massey Ferguson 732 Mower Position Stop Kit.
I have attached two images from my operator's instruction booklet.
Other than the attached images I have been unable to find any details on this arrangement or one for sale - and I have been on the hunt for quite a few years. I presume that as it is effectively a chain with a clevis most have just been lost and/or used for other purposes on a farm and long separated from the mowers now out there?
Would anyone at The Ferguson Club either have one for sale and/or one that can be measured so I could make a replica part? If anyone knows of any drawings/spec for the part(s) that could be used to make a faithful reproduction of the set up I would be interested.

I appreciate it is not all that technical but I would be interested to try and reproduce the set up if it were possible. At present I make do with the earlier Fergie set up with the yoke on the top link rack - it works - but its not what is in the operator's instruction booklet - maybe I should get out more?
I would be most grateful if anyone in the club has some knowledge to share on this one?

Kind regards to all,

Patrick

Patrick Clark
Cornwall
Attachments
Image 2.jpg
Image 2.jpg (72.3 KiB) Viewed 3898 times
Image 1.jpg
Image 1.jpg (80.97 KiB) Viewed 3898 times
Sandy.

Re: Massey Ferguson 732 Mower restoration _ Position Stop Kit

Post by Sandy. »

Hi Patrick
The Massey Ferguson 732 mower would be made for use with a tractor with position control, FE 35 and newer. The kit that you have in the picture would let you use the mower with a Ferguson TE tractor, who made the kit I am not sure on that one. The most common chain kit that I have seen is the one with the 2 side plates that bolt to the side of the top link and have about 6 notches for the adjustment.
Regards
Sandy
Hair Bear

Post by Hair Bear »

Looking at the diagram I would guess it's a piece of 3/4 bore tube on the knuckle pin, with a steel plate welded on which has a slot in it that will index with a chosen suitable piece of chain. If there's very few if any left it would be difficult for anyone to prove it's wrong - but if they do - then you've got your foot in the door to one you can copy!
What could possibly go wrong?
patrickclark

Post by patrickclark »

Thanks Hair - yes I think I will have to have a go at making it off the images - also your thoughts on the dimensions etc. are appreciated. I will have a go and let you know how I get on! Thanks
Hair Bear

Post by Hair Bear »

Please check... From memory the knuckle pin is the same as a cat 1 top link pin which I'm sure is 19mm or 3/4".
What could possibly go wrong?