TED-20/MF35 for square baler?

Classamin

TED-20/MF35 for square baler?

Post by Classamin »

Morning all!

First post here and I'm sure it's been done to death, but I've recently had the offer of a Fergie TED-20 at a reasonable price. I also have had the offer of a 35 for considerably more (23c engine, as far as I know it's a single clutch).

I've fancied a little tractor for myself for a while now, and will be using it mainly for paddock maintenance for horses ie; pulling a harrow, roller, little bit of poo-picking/spreading, carting the occasional bale of hay. Recently the girlfriend has had a revelation that if I were to buy a tractor I'd be able to produce haylage for her expensive, if overly-opinionated meat-motorcycle.

My heart seems set on the Grey Fergie. It's a good deal, the tractor is local and is in good condition, but will it power and pull a small square baler on flat terrain with an over-run setup? It'll only need to be used for 150 bales or so a year, the rest is taken care of by a much bigger tractor making round bales of hay for the other animals.

As far as balers go, any recommendations for these? I've heard of folks pulling New Holland 68's with relative success, would it take an NH276 or is that pushing it?

Many thanks, Michael
Sandy.

Re: TED-20/MF35 for square baler?

Post by Sandy. »

Hi Michael
Trying to bale with a small tractor with a single clutch is quite difficult, if you come to a lump or thick bit you require enough power to get through it you cant dip the clutch to slow down.
35 / 23C. single clutch serial number should start. S.D.F.
35 / 23C. dual clutch serial number should start S.D.M.

Sandy.
Classamin

Post by Classamin »

Sandy. wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:43 am Hi Michael
Trying to bale with a small tractor with a single clutch is quite difficult, if you come to a lump or thick bit you require enough power to get through it you cant dip the clutch to slow down.
35 / 23C. single clutch serial number should start. S.D.F.
35 / 23C. dual clutch serial number should start S.D.M.

Sandy.
Thanks for your reply Sandy. That isn't really the main issue, I'm not a complete stranger to single clutch running and all the intricacies involved in such a set-up. My main sticking point is getting the best small square baler possible while still not going beyond the possibilities and capability of the machine. Cheers for the info regarding the 35 serial numbers though, that could be of use!
Sandy.

Post by Sandy. »

Hi Michael

The small Massey Ferguson balers that may be out there, are a MF 703 or MF 15./20.

Sandy