TEF20 Alternator Conversion

OliWeight

TEF20 Alternator Conversion

Post by OliWeight »

Hi everyone,

I'm Oli, new to the forum, i'm in West Wales, with a TEF20 diesel which I use in my woodland, moving timber, winching, chipping & flailing.

I've had my TEF20 for a few years now, she's always been a pretty good starter, my dynamo has just packed up and I'm weighing up my options, wandering whether to swap it out for an alternator so I have a more reliable system, and can take advantage of all the things that a fully charged battery and negative earth brings!

I'm not a fabricator, and I'm struggling to find a kit, does anyone know if theres one out there? Or at least a bracket which would fit a particular alternator?

Thanks!
Hair Bear

Re: TEF20 Alternator Conversion

Post by Hair Bear »

Hi, try this link. Says currently not in stock but a call to them may be helpful.
https://www.tractorstoreuk.co.uk/massey ... 1995-p.asp
What could possibly go wrong?
OliWeight

Post by OliWeight »

Aah thank you! So the fe35 kit should fit then? That would be most handy

I use the tractor everyday, and it would be super handy to be able to jump it, especially when cold!
OliWeight

Post by OliWeight »

I've done a bit of phoning around, and according to old20, and a couple of other suppliers, this kit won't fit, nor will the one for the tvo fergies.

Are there any reasons why? Obviously I'd have to swap it to neg earth, and change the harness, plus faff about with brackets, is there anything else I'm missing? I wouldn't have to change the starter motor for example?
Hair Bear

Post by Hair Bear »

Sorry, didn't mean to mislead you, I thought they might have a kit to fit.
To swap to -ve earth from memory, the starter will 'self field' so it will still turn the right way. Large wire from alternator to battery. Small wire to key live via a tell tail bulb! Should all work. Biggest issue is getting an alternator with the correct pulley alignment and a small enough pulley to spin it fast.
What could possibly go wrong?
OliWeight

Post by OliWeight »

Thank you!