TEF20 Poor and no start

GrahamC

TEF20 Poor and no start

Post by GrahamC »

Hi all,
Newbie to the vintage tractor world,
I recently bought a 1953 TEF20, I bought it as a poor starter, now I have replaced fuel filter (only has the one) changed fuel line, cleaned out fuel tank,and have had it running, was out for a run last Saturday but would it heck start last Sunday, and again today will not start at all, I have fuel to injectors, but not even a cough or splutter,
When running it is quite Smokey but drives and pulls very well,
I have also checked and adjusted valve clearances,
There is no kigass, but someone in past has put a small bottle with diesel in where kigass tank would sit, and a pipe down to above heater plug, so heat it up open tap, let few drops of fuel on and in theory away she should go, but nothing now,
I am thinking it’s going to be a head off job and at least rings but just wandered if anything else I could do or check before??
Just wanted to have a little play about before winter strip down
Many thanks Graham
Sandy.

Re: TEF20 Poor and no start

Post by Sandy. »

Morning Graham
I take it your tractor is not fitted with a fuel lift pump, If you undo 1 of the bleed screws on the fuel pump do you get a steady flow of diesel out the bleed screw. If not there are 2 felt filters in the back of the fuel pump that may be blocked, to change them it requires the removal of the fuel pump.
The other thing to check is the excess fuel button at the front of the pump which can help with starting. With the stop in the start position push the button and you should hear a click noise.
Sandy
Hair Bear

Post by Hair Bear »

As Sandy says, try the excess fuel button. It should stay in, and as a static test pull the engine stop and it should pop out again.
With the throttle wide open, do you get any smoke while cranking?
What could possibly go wrong?
GrahamC

Post by GrahamC »

Thankyou both for the replies, yes I have fuel coming out of bleed screws, and to injectors, excess fuel button is working,
When tried this morning it was putting white smoke out but again no intention of starting, it sounds a though it’s fairly slow at spinning I thought even with a brand new 100ah battery on and jump leads from another battery too, the starter has supposed to have been reconditioned but wandering if it’s being lazy and not spinning it just fast enough
GrahamC

Post by GrahamC »

Yes have whitish coloured smoke while cranking
Hair Bear

Post by Hair Bear »

White smoke is unburnt diesel which suggests the fuel system is ok.
If you have the opportunity give it a tow start. If it goes ok then that may suggest the starter system at fault. Before you tear into the starter, go through all the heavy connections, dismantle, clean, reassemble, paying close attention to all the earthing points.
What could possibly go wrong?
GrahamC

Post by GrahamC »

Thankyou once again,
My friend was over today and suggested might not be getting enough fuel, when injector pipes are taken off pump the fuel does not come out with any sort of pressure or force, don’t know if this is normal or not, have removed pump and checked filters in back, there was a bit of dirt but when reassembled still not coming out very enthusiastically!!
I do have video to see if people think it’s normal
David lewis

Post by David lewis »

Has it still just got too much air in the system. It took mine a lot of cranking, after being stood idle for years to get air out and fuel in.
Just a thought
GrahamC

Post by GrahamC »

I had it running the day before and next day would just not go at all,
I have taken plunge now, and started on engine overhaul, was hoping to go a little longer but needs doing, looks like someone has been in before though and done things half heartedly
David lewis

Post by David lewis »

Graham

Where in the country are you?
I'm in Sussex with a TEF..have some white smoke and not as much trouble to start as you but only had mine 4 months or so too