Rocker cover linkage with no connection externally

FireLaw

Rocker cover linkage with no connection externally

Post by FireLaw »

Hi all,

I have found some time to do some work on my Fergie, I have taken off the fuel tank to check the tappet clearances and notice that there is an external linkage at the back of the rocker cover with a spring-loaded arm but it is not connected to anything externally.

On taking off the cover I notice that the external linkage marries up to an internal bar that has additional cams that can be adjusted to be closer to the tappets. My uneducated guess is that it provides additional clearances for the valves, maybe to assist with easier starting in the cold.

I cannot find any reference in the manual that I have that details if my thought process to this linkage or the cam it is connected to is correct, no doubt someone will be able to assist me. The manual I am using has an image of the external connection parts but there is no apparent text to support the image (page 23 of manual in the section titled 'Experimental' by Tracprez publications).

If anyone can recommend a good manual for my Fergie it would be appreciated, I picked up a second hand manual some time ago that is clearly a photo-copy of a photo-copy and has probably been copied numerous times. I would like to purchase a decent fresh manual, a new re-production version would be great if anyone can steer me in the right direction.

Best regards all and keep safe,

Angus
giraffe_123

Re: Rocker cover linkage with no connection externally

Post by giraffe_123 »

Hi Angus.

What you are referring to is the decompression linkage for the Diesel engine. There is a handle under the dash and another by the dynamo that give three positions. Full compression, part compression and no compression.

It is designed to help to get the oil flowing around the engine and some warm gases from the kigas system
Into the engine before attempting the startup in cold conditions.

I have a workshop manual that is about 500 pages long and reproduced from the original manual. I think it came from Fergiland or old 20 about 25 years ago now.

There are many sources available, and also an online version at the following link.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3bwzu ... xQjI6BW7og

Best of luck.
FireLaw

Re: Rocker cover linkage with no connection externally

Post by FireLaw »

Hi Giraffe_123

That's ideal information, looks like I will need a new linkage set up, thanks for letting me know. I have seen some manuals for downloading but I don't trust downloads unless someone recommends them, I will try your provided link next

Many thanks once again,

Angus