First dip in the Tractor World

FireLaw

First dip in the Tractor World

Post by FireLaw »

So, I am involved in the running of a couple of steam shows and pre-lockdown I used to visit other shows. Every time I find a Fergie up as a raffle prize and despite the number of tickets I buy I have never won one.

To be fair I have not had a tractor on my bucket list for a new toy and have not been looking for one until my daughter was discussing steam shows with one of her oppo's who happened to say he had a Fergie that he was thinking of selling.

A few days later it was kindly delivered free of charge and is now living under my car port. I have had a quick rapid learning time period working out how to start it (a bit frustrating) and deciding what I am going to do with it. An old friend from one of the steam shows has offered to assist so its now a case of wait and see

If anyone can shed a light on the starting issue it would be great.

When engaging the switch on the starter the solenoid can be heard kicking in but the starter will not turn over, re engaging the switch for the solenoid n quick succession eventually engages the starter and all is fine. The switch works fine, the solenoid engages every time and there's plenty of life in the battery. The person I bought it off of said the starter works first time every time when off of the tractor but has this issue when its on the tractor.

Any ideas out there??
Attachments
Tractor 3.jpg
Tractor 3.jpg (63.86 KiB) Viewed 4668 times
Tractor 2.jpg
Tractor 2.jpg (48.8 KiB) Viewed 4668 times
Tractor 1.jpg
Tractor 1.jpg (44.85 KiB) Viewed 4668 times
giraffe_123

Re: First dip in the Tractor World

Post by giraffe_123 »

Welcome to the Ferguson world.

Your tractor is a diesel TEF, which has a pre-engage starter via the gearstick and a safety button on the side of the gearbox.

To start it, press the button in with your heel and move the stick to the start gate. This position is actually quite close to 3rd gear, and often if you push the stick too far over it will feel like it is in the gate but in fact is not.

There is a common issue with this starting system, which is that if the starter gear buts up against the ring gear so does not mesh, the switch is not pressed by the linkage and the solenoid not energised. For this reason the original solenoids had a push button on them to rotate the starter whilst not engaged and then you try again. If not then rocking the tractor by the back wheel whilst 4th gear is engaged usually does the trick.

Reproduction starter motors are notorious for this issue,

Hope this helps you out.

Alex
FireLaw

Post by FireLaw »

Hi Alex, many thanks for your kind response

It's been a while due to workloads however I have finally found out what the fault was, I went through the procedures for starting and each time I got as far as the solenoid kicking in then nothing in the way of turning over or starting.

Next came the checking of the electrical connections and cleaning everything and still nowt, with a new multi-meter the fault was finally located to be the starter solenoid that was not functioning correctly. The first stage was ok putting power into the solenoid and hearing it click however there was nothing going back out from the solenoid to the starter. A new solenoid later and all is now well and the old girl starts ok.
FireLaw

Post by FireLaw »

Hi all,

So, now I am going to get on and do some restoration work, having finally got the old girl to start I have a leaking radiator which is my next project.

I have now decided to remove and sell the front loader, counter weight and hay forks, is there a market for these items or am I as well to put them to one side for a later project in the future??
Team Ferguson

Post by Team Ferguson »

We have a sales/wanted page here on this website , probably as good a place as any to advertise you unwanted parts for sale
Team Ferguson

Post by Team Ferguson »

where in the country are you firelaw ?
FireLaw

Post by FireLaw »

Hi, Weymouth, Dorset