Collecting an old grey. Any advice?

AntAllen

Collecting an old grey. Any advice?

Post by AntAllen »

Hi all,

First post here. We've just agreed a deal on our new "family tractor", a T20, and we're off to collect it in a couple of week's time. I know very little about tractors, so there's a lot to learn, but I have rebuilt classic and kit cars in the past. With me I have tractor-mad 10yr old son and my wife who learnt to drive on a 135 but claims she's forgotten how it all worked.

The T20 has been in a barn for about 20 years. I'm told the engine is "stuck", but was running when parked up. That might mean it won't turn from the starter, or could actually be seized. I don't think there's a battery on it right now, and certainly not one capable of starting it. I figure we just need to get it home for now. We're collecting on a car trailer with a Land Rover. The trailer has a hand winch, and we should be able to use the LR to get it out of the barn and onto the level. Hoping the brakes aren't seized but won't know till we get there.

And tips or tricks to get it rolling, loaded and secure, and then unloaded again? We know the barn is down a "small slope" from a flat field. Where's a good place to drag it from? And what about fastening it down on the trailer? I'll have ratchet straps with the trailer. I also have a towing bar for towing cars but not sure that will be any use.

Also, as a tractor novice, is there an operators guide or perhaps a video online anywhere showing what the controls are on a T20? How is the park-brake applied? Is gear selection the same as a car? For now I just need it to roll, but later I'll need to know what's what.

Quite basic questions. All advice appreciated.

Thanks
Ant
giraffe_123

Re: Collecting an old grey. Any advice?

Post by giraffe_123 »

Hi AntAllen. Welcome to the group.

Let’s start with getting the tractor home. I would tow it to a sensible loading area, where you are not restricted for space. If you have a hand winch then use it to load the tractor. I have not known a fergie to have the brakes stuck on before, because rarely will they be laid up with the brake pawl engaged. There is no handbrake as such, but a small hand operated pawl and ratchet setup on the main brake pedal.

Make sure that you load with a little nose be weight on the trailer (a rough guide is that the footpegs are the centre of gravity on a fergie). Strap down on each corner securely to a load rated lashing eye, or directly to the trailer chassis (rope hooks are not acceptable to tie down loads of pulled over by vosa). I guess some tyres might be flat or condition unknown, so I would strap from the front axle and rear axle. If tyres were known to be sound then I would strap from each wheel.

Don’t be tempted to try and get the engine turning when towing it. You don’t know what is stuck, and what you could damage by rushing.

If you post some pictures of the tractor and tell us more about it, then we can help you with getting it freed off and hopefuly running again.

Good luck with it. They are great fun to work with and very rewarding when it goes well. All parts are either easily available new, or second hand.
AntAllen

Post by AntAllen »

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to look it over on Sat and the plan is to collect on Sun.

What's a good place to tow it by to get it out of the shed and onto the level? Strap around the front axle? I guess there's no proper towing eye, is there?

Thanks
Ant
giraffe_123

Post by giraffe_123 »

I usually put a strap onto the front axle. Just make sure you attach it in a way that it can’t slip and damage the side of the bonnet.
AntAllen

Post by AntAllen »

Went to check it over today. Good news - all the wheels turn! Tomorrow is collection day.

It's serial number TEA125328 so does that mean it's straight petrol rather than TVO? Will the new E10 be ok???

One rear tyre is quite new. Others are flat and look shot. Will they have tubes in them or is that up to previous owners?

Thanks
Ant
Team Ferguson

Post by Team Ferguson »

don't use E10 unless your adding in the additive, stick with E5
AntAllen

Post by AntAllen »

Well we got it home!

Thanks for the help.

Stand by for lots more questions as we try and work out what we've got.
Team Ferguson

Post by Team Ferguson »

Glad you goy it home safely, now the real fun starts ,any problems or questions stick them up on this forum and i'm sure somebody will point you in the right direction