David Brown Tractor Club’s opens its new museum at Meltham Mills
The David Brown Tractor Club (DBTC) has gone home: After several years of searching for a more suitable building to house its museum collection, the club has relocated to Meltham Mills – the spiritual home of David Brown tractor production from 1939 to 1988.
The previous premises at nearby Spinksmire Mill had become in need of some refurbishment and the landlords could offer no guarantee as to its future. The opportunity arose to lease an industrial unit at Meltham Mills. Fittingly, the unit is J Block adjoining the former assembly building where production of David Brown tractors began in the latter part of 1939.
“The move has enabled us to host more events in-house,” explains DBTC secretary, Roger Brereton. “We now have all the facilities we need within our own building: a tractor display area, an excellent shop area, kitchen, archive room, large meeting/dining area and ladies and gents’ facilities; all heated.”
The windows of the unit afford views across the former tractor plant due to its elevated position at the top of the factory access throughfare, which was always known as the ‘Burma Road.’ Externally, the club has its own gated drive that sweeps down to the entrance with ample car parking and garden areas, again with superb views over the site. One of the museum exhibits, a Ferguson Type A, serves as a reminder that David Brown was responsible fore inaugurating Ferguson production.
The museum was officially opened by TV’s Sarah Crabtree at 10 am on Sunday 22 May with a huge crowd in attendance. The venue will be open on the club’s monthly open days and events (see www.dbtc.co.uk for details) or by special arrangement for tractor and car clubs and other associations to visit when refreshments can be arranged. Contact Roger at email@example.com for details.